NCW to be given powers to arrest?
New Delhi: Government is mulling giving punitive powers to arrest, search and seize to National Commission for Women (NCW) in matters of domestic violence, police apathy and sexual harassment at work place and plans to extend NCW`s jurisdiction to Jammu and Kashmir.
The Ministry of Women and Child Devlopment has prepared a Cabinet note which proposes that the jurisdiction of NCW should be extended to the Jammu and Kashmir, sources in WCD ministry said.
In matters of domestic violence, police apathy and sexual harassment at work place, the Ministry has proposed to give NCW the power to investigate, search, seize, issue warrant and arrest, they said.
A Director General of Police (DGP) rank official will assist NCW in the investigations.
"The extension of jurisdiction has been proposed so that the women victims in the state (J&K )could have a forum for redressal," a senior official said.
According to the note, NCW will also have some CrPC powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?