NCW to be given powers to arrest?
New Delhi: Government is mulling giving punitive powers to arrest, search and seize to National Commission for Women (NCW) in matters of domestic violence, police apathy and sexual harassment at work place and plans to extend NCW`s jurisdiction to Jammu and Kashmir.
The Ministry of Women and Child Devlopment has prepared a Cabinet note which proposes that the jurisdiction of NCW should be extended to the Jammu and Kashmir, sources in WCD ministry said.
In matters of domestic violence, police apathy and sexual harassment at work place, the Ministry has proposed to give NCW the power to investigate, search, seize, issue warrant and arrest, they said.
A Director General of Police (DGP) rank official will assist NCW in the investigations.
"The extension of jurisdiction has been proposed so that the women victims in the state (J&K )could have a forum for redressal," a senior official said.
According to the note, NCW will also have some CrPC powers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!