NCW to start 24x7 toll free helpline
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women will soon start a 24-hour helpline to assist women in distress, its chief Mamta Sharma said Friday.
"A 24-hour helpline on a toll-free number will be started by the NCW in three months," Sharma told reporters here.
"This will expedite registration of complaints and assist speedy solutions," she said.
The helpline will provide counselling as well as immediate help to those in need, an NCW member told reporters.
"The helpline will provide counselling for those who need. Apart from this, for those who need immediate rescue, we will provide help from local police and hospitals. We are also consulting a number of NGOs for assistance in this," the member said.
Presently, NCW accepts online complaints on its website. Nearly 563 complaints were received between August and October this year.
"The toll-free help line will make it easier for women to register their complaint, it will make NCW more accessible," Sharma said.
The chairperson also added that it was an effort on NCW`s part to let the state women commissions handle more local cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!