NCW`s views to be included in anti-dowry law
New Delhi: The Women and Child Development Ministry is eliciting views of other ministries before amending the anti-dowry Act on the basis of recommendations of the National Commission for Women (NCW), the Rajya Sabha was informed Thursday.
"We have sought views from other departments on the proposed amendment to the Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961," Minister of State for Women and Child Development Krishna Tirath said during Question Hour.
The amendment bill was drafted taking into account NCW`s recommendations relating to definition of dowry, provision of registration of lists of gifts received at the time of marriage and provision of separate penalties for giving and taking of dowry.
Replying to a separate question, she said 19 states, including Bihar and Rajasthan, have formulated dowry prohibitive rules on the model circulated by the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand