NDA allies have no veto power on PM candidate: BJP
Ahmedabad: Asserting that NDA allies have no veto power on BJP`s choice of prime ministerial candidate, party leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said even Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had acknowledged in the past that the nominee would be from the saffron party.
"BJP is part of NDA and we respect all our allies. But one thing is clear that the prime ministerial candidate will be of BJP and none of our allies has a veto power on this matter," Prasad told a press conference.
The party`s renewed aggression came in the backdrop of Congress` bid to cut down Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi after the recently-held Karnataka Assembly elections.
Responding to a query on the strident opposition from Kumar to Modi`s projection as the Prime Ministerial candidate, Prasad said, "Nitish Kumar too said publicly in the past that PM candidate will be from BJP."
The Deputy Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha evaded direct reply to a query if Modi will be BJP`s prime ministerial candidate for 2014 elections.
"Modiji is one of our most respected and popular leaders. Our Parliamentary Board will discuss and decide that issue. Unlike Congress, we are not a family-run party," he said. Prasad was here to announce the party`s nationwide agitation from May 27-June 2 against the UPA`s corruption.
"During the UPA rule, there were major 12-13 big scams. Congress and UPA-led Central government is the most corrupt government since Independence," he alleged.
Continuing his party`s attack on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Prasad said the principal opposition party wanted Singh`s resignation over the lack of "accountability".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’