NDA concerned, Congress gleeful over LK Advani’s resignation
New Delhi: The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) expressed serious concern over the fissures that erupted in the BJP over LK Advani`s resignations from all party posts while the Congress expectedly took a dig at the BJP by saying it has sidelined people who had built the organisation.
Terming Advani`s resignations as a "serious issue" and "not good for NDA`s health", Janata Dal-United (JD-U) president Sharad Yadav said his party would meet to review the developments.
"I am deeply saddened by the resignation of Advani-ji, because the NDA was forged with the efforts of Atal-ji and Advani-ji," Yadav said, referring to former BJP stalwart and ex-prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Advani.
The BJP and the JD-U are constituents of the opposition NDA, of which Yadav is the convenor.
Arch rival Congress said it had warned that the elevation of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi within the BJP would have its repercussions.
"We had already said that it (Modi`s elevation) will have its repercussions," Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said.
Congress spokesperson Renuka Choudhary said with unconcealed glee: "I am not surprised. The BJP is politically bankrupt. They have sidelined people responsible for building it."
Branding Advani as the BJP`s "Bhishma Pitamah", Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut said: "We should perssuade him to change decision."
Taking a dig at factionalism in the BJP, Nationalist Congress Party leader Mahesh Tapase said: "The party with a difference is indeed a party with differences as is evident from Advani`s resignation. The fate of the NDA is sealed as the BJP suffers from NaMonia. The UPA will bounce back to power in 2014 Lok Sabha elections."
A day after the BJP appointed Modi to lead its campaign in the next Lok Sabha election, a miffed Advani quit all major party posts and accused most of its leaders of pursuing "personal agendas".
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks