NDA demands Chidambaram`s resignation
New Delhi: Targeting Home Minister P
Chidambaram again, BJP-led NDA on Thursday disrupted proceedings in
Parliament demanding his resignation for his alleged role in
the controversial 2G spectrum allocations, but the government
ruled it out.
Members of NDA created uproar in both Lok Sabha and Rajya
Sabha to seek Chidambaram`s resignation in the wake of a Delhi
court allowing Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy to
become a witness in the 2G spectrum case.
The Lok Sabha could not conduct any business till 2 pm
because of the trouble as a result of which it was first
adjourned till noon and then till 2 pm.
Normal proceedings resumed at 2 pm after Finance Minister
and Leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee called up Leader of
the Opposition Sushma Swaraj seeking Opposition`s cooperation
to allow discussion on inflation.
Swaraj raised the issue of Chidambaram when she stood up
to participate in the discussion on inflation.
"The debate on the issue is cursed. Whenever we decide to
discuss inflation, it gets entangled in some issue or the
other...at noon when the issue was to come up, a new issue
came up," she said referring to the developments in the court.
"It has been our stand that if (then Telecom Minister) A
Raja is guilty, so is P Chidambaram," she said adding that if
Raja`s resignation has been sought, the same standard should
apply on Chidambaram.
Referring to a court`s decision, Swaraj said the party
raised the issue this morning due to the "new dimension" added
to the case.
Rejecting the opposition demand, Law Minister Salman
Khurshid told reporters that there was nothing in the Delhi
court observations against Chidambaram or the government.
Earlier, as soon as the House met for the day and Speaker
Meira Kumar called for the Question Hour, NDA members were on
their feet demanding resignation of Chidambaram.
DMK member T R Baalu was heard demanding a discussion on
the Mullaperiyar dam issue in Parliament while some other
members trooped into the Well and raised slogans.
BJP members continued to raise slogans `Griha Mantri
Istifa Do (Home Minister resign)` from their seats.
With unruly scenes continuing, the Speaker adjourned the
House till noon.
Similar scenes were witnessed when the House met again at
12 noon. After papers were laid and CPI member Gurudas
Dasgupta rose to initiate the discussion on price rise, NDA
members started shouting and demanded that Chidambaram should
In the Rajya Sabha, NDA members created uproar towards the
end of Question Hour prompting Chairman Hamid Ansari to
adjourn the House for ten minutes till noon and then again
till 2 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'