NDA floor leaders meeting sans old ally JD(U)
New Delhi: NDA floor leaders met on Sunday on the eve of Parliament session for the first time without its long time ally JD(U) which saw Leader of the Opposition making a demand that the coalition appoint a new convenor.
Deputy Leader of BJP in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad said Swaraj raised the issue of JD(U) not being a part of the meeting.
"We missed JD(U) in the meeting today. But we hope that when it comes to floor coordination in the House during the Monsoon Session, JD(U) will support the opposition if it still believes in its long-held anti-Congress stand," Prasad said.
JD(U) President Sharad Yadav, who was the NDA convenor till the party walked out of the coalition in protest against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s elevation as head of BJP Election Campaign Committee, used to be present in the meetings of the floor leaders.
Yadav also used to brief the media after the NDA meetings.
Swaraj pointed out in the meeting that there is need to appoint a new convenor as the post is vacant. NDA is looking for new allies ahead of the Lok Sabha polls and a convenor would play a crucial role.
BJP is keen on giving the post to Shiromani Akali Dal head Parkash Singh Badal as the Punjab Chief Minister enjoys a lot of goodwill among other parties. But a decision is yet to be taken on the matter.
The post of NDA convenor was always held by JD(U) which was a part of the coalition for 17 years. George Fernandes was the first NDA Convenor, who was replaced by Yadav due to his failing health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand