NDA ‘fully united’ to decide PM candidate: BJP
New Delhi: Under pressure from its key NDA allies Shiv Sena and JD(U) on coalition issues, BJP was on Monday at pains to insist that the alliance is "fully united" to replace UPA in next elections and will together take a call on matters like their Prime Ministerial candidate.
While Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray had caused a flutter in BJP yesterday when he said Sushma Swaraj is the most suited candidate from BJP to be Prime Minister, JD(U) President Sharad Yadav today added to the main opposition`s discomfiture when he said his party will contest coming Gujarat assembly elections on its own and not as part of NDA.
Though BJP`s initial reply to Thackeray`s comments were guarded, it fielded spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain today for damage control.
"NDA is fully united and we will form the government after the next general elections. We, as well as the people, have no doubt about that we will come to power. Since we are going to form the next government, we are often the topic of discussions these days," Hussain said.
Asked about NDA`s Prime Ministerial candidate, he gave the cliched reply of the coalition taking "the appropriate decision at the appropriate time".
"When the elections come, the time for choosing the
Prime Ministerial candidate will also come. Let the polls be held and then we will answer this question," Hussain added.
Probed further about each NDA partner naming a different PM candidate or expressing reservations over some, Hussain maintained that everybody has a right to voice his opinion.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has indicated Gujarat CM Narendra Modi cannot be NDA`s PM candidate, Thackeray has supported Swaraj while SAD feels as long as L K Advani is in active politics he should be the PM candidate.
BJP was not concerned about JD(U)`s announcement to fight alone in Gujarat. "Last time when NDA was in power under Atal Bihari Vajpayee and also in 2008 JD(U) had contested on its own and they have every right to contest the elections on their own," Hussain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video