`NDA had readied Cabinet note favouring FDI in retail`
New Delhi: Seeking to punch holes in BJP`s opposition to allowing Foreign Direct Investment in multi-brand retail, Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma Monday said the NDA government had readied a Cabinet note favouring 100 per cent FDI in the sector.
Addressing a gathering of Congress supporters here, Sharma lambasted the BJP for trying to "mislead" the country on the issue and asserted that UPA government had taken the decision with "conviction" and "clarity" and there will not be any rethink on it.
"When it (BJP) was in power, a cabinet note was prepared. I had urged repeatedly that let the Parliament function. I would have tabled the Cabinet note seeking to allow 100 per cent FDI in retail," Sharma said, attacking the BJP on the issue.
To counter the opposition parties, the Congress will organise a "big rally" at Ramlila Maidan here on October 28 which will be addressed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, party president Sonia Gandhi besides other senior leaders.
Sharma said government has taken the decision to allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail considering the economic fundamentals and ground realities of the country and BJP`s opposition to it reflected the party`s "hollowness".
"We have framed the policy considering the ground realities and the social and economic disparities in the country," he said adding, it is people of India who have approved the policy and it has not been brought in under the influence of any other country.
Sharma was addressing a gathering at Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s residence, which was organised to educate party workers on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`