`NDA had readied Cabinet note favouring FDI in retail`
New Delhi: Seeking to punch holes in BJP`s opposition to allowing Foreign Direct Investment in multi-brand retail, Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma Monday said the NDA government had readied a Cabinet note favouring 100 per cent FDI in the sector.
Addressing a gathering of Congress supporters here, Sharma lambasted the BJP for trying to "mislead" the country on the issue and asserted that UPA government had taken the decision with "conviction" and "clarity" and there will not be any rethink on it.
"When it (BJP) was in power, a cabinet note was prepared. I had urged repeatedly that let the Parliament function. I would have tabled the Cabinet note seeking to allow 100 per cent FDI in retail," Sharma said, attacking the BJP on the issue.
To counter the opposition parties, the Congress will organise a "big rally" at Ramlila Maidan here on October 28 which will be addressed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, party president Sonia Gandhi besides other senior leaders.
Sharma said government has taken the decision to allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail considering the economic fundamentals and ground realities of the country and BJP`s opposition to it reflected the party`s "hollowness".
"We have framed the policy considering the ground realities and the social and economic disparities in the country," he said adding, it is people of India who have approved the policy and it has not been brought in under the influence of any other country.
Sharma was addressing a gathering at Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s residence, which was organised to educate party workers on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly