NDA issues over PM candidate are internal matters: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Friday steered clear of problems within the NDA over the issue of PM candidate at a time when JD-U appears to be becoming more aggressive in its antipathy to Narendra Modi.
"JD-U is part of the BJP-led NDA. We do not comment or interfere in the internal matters of other parties. It is for them to resolve....We do not look into that," party spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
His remarks came to questions over reports that the JD-U at its National Executive meeting beginning here tomorrow is likely to make a strong pitch for the early projection of the next Prime Ministerial candidate of the alliance and emphasise its committment to secularism ahead of the Lok Sabha elections.
Though JD-U leaders have remained tighlipped about the political resolution to be adopted, there are clear indications that the party will vehemently oppose projection of the Gujarat Chief Minister within NDA for the top job.
Bihar Chief Minister and JD-U leader, Nitish Kumar, who runs a coalition government with BJP, has been a known critic of Modi. A sizeable section in JD-U believes that parting of ways with BJP will be unavoidable if Modi is projected a prime ministerial candidate in the Lok Sabha polls.
Alvi dismissed as "hypothetical" a question whether Kumar and his party are welcome to the UPA fold. He said right now they are part of the NDA.
A senior Congress leader, who declined to be identified, saw no parting of ways by the JD-U from the BJP on the issue.
Congress leaders believe that JD-U`s anti-Modi stance could be to secure the 16 per cent share in minority votes, besides ensuring this chunk of votes does not sway in favour of Lalu Prasad`s Rashtriya Janata Dal or the Congress party.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!