NDA leaders hold demonstration in Parliament on coal issue
New Delhi: With the Monsoon Session drawing to a close, BJP-led NDA on Friday held a demonstration in Parliament House complex demanding Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation, cancellation of coal blocks, and a fair probe and declared that it will now take this agitation to the streets.
MPs from both Houses belonging to BJP, JD(U), Shiromani Akali Dal and Shiv Sena held the protest demonstration in front of Mahatma Gandhi`s statue in Parliament premises on the coal allocation issue.
Holding placards that read "On Coalgate issue, Prime Minister should resign", "For a corruption free India, now from Parliament to the streets" and demanding cancellation of coal block allocations, the NDA MPs raised slogans to press for their demands.
NDA Working Chairperson LK Advani, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley, NDA Convenor and JD(U) president Sharad Yadav, Harsimrat Kaur (SAD) and Anant Geete (Shiv Sena) were prominent among those who participated in the protest.
Speaking to reporters later, Advani said, "Today is the last day of the session and so NDA MPs decided to gather here and declare that our agitation for a corruption free India will move from Parliament to the streets. Our target is to make India free of corruption."
Advani alleged that the UPA government has been deeply involved in corruption from 2G spectrum to Coalgate and this has angered the people across the country.
"We will take this agitation to all corners of the country," Advani said.
Swaraj maintained that till now NDA had been disrupting Parliament on the coal allocation issue and will take this issue further through street protests.
"We have taken a pledge at the Gandhi statue here that we will take this issue to the people. We will take this issue from Parliament to the streets and from village to village," Swaraj said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why