NDA ready to make up for loss of Parliament work if JPC formed
New Delhi: The NDA Tuesday said it was ready
for a five-day special session to compensate for the loss of
work due to the current deadlock in Parliament provided the
government concedes to the Opposition demand for JPC probe
into the 2G spectrum issue.
"Let the government hold a special session of
Parliament for five days after constituting the Joint
Parliamentary Committee. We are ready to sit till midnight to
complete the Parliament work," JD-U chief Sharad Yadav told
Yadav, who is also the convener of NDA, made the
remarks hours after a meeting of the BJP-led alliance in the
Sources said that the NDA meeting attended by leaders
from BJP, JD-U, Shiv Sena and Akali Dal, discussed the idea of
the special session but ruled out any such concession unless
the JPC demand is accepted by the government.
The NDA meeting also discussed the issue of
"JPC-versus Murali Manohar Joshi headed Public Accounts
Committee" in the light of the PAC becoming "highly active" in
pursuing the 2G scam issue after the CAG report was tabled in
The NDA leaders felt that PAC becoming active at this
juncture could undermine the Opposition`s campaign for JPC.
The Congress took the opportunity to make a major
issue out of it saying BJP should explain whether it does not
trust its own senior leader. The ruling party at the Centre
has also been repeatedly referring to Joshi`s remarks that PAC
has the powers to investigate all aspects of the scam.
"There was a view that the JPC demand should not be
diluted. Even BJP leaders raised the issue," a senior leader
of NDA said.
The meeting also chalked out plans for a rally against
corruption once the Parliament session is over.
The prospective date for the rally was also discussed
keeping in mind the forthcoming plenary session of Congress
Sources said that the strategy of the NDA would be
to make this agitation a rallying point for all opposition
parties on the lines of July 5 Bharat Bandh against price
JD-U chief Sharad Yadav is said to be in touch with
parties like AGP, TDP, AIADMK and INLD over the issue. Yadav
is learnt to have also apprised the BJP of his party`s
reservations over the continuance of Karnataka Chief Minister
BS Yeddyurappa inspite of serious corruption charges against
Significantly, the NDA meeting took place a day after
the non-NDA opposition parties held a separate meeting on the
JPC issue in which the Left parties and JD (Secular) said BJP
has no moral right to raise the issue of corruption after the
"There are difficulties on certain things. But there
is issue based unity among the opposition parties and hence
the plan is to make the agitation as comprehensive as
possible. Even if some parties hold separate rallies on the
same day, our purpose of opposition unity is served," a leader
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31