NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy
New Delhi: With the Aug 7 vice presidential poll set to be fought between incumbent Hamid Ansari and BJP`s Jaswant Singh, the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) Tuesday reviewed its strategy to keep its flock together.
"We will try that all the NDA votes remain intact," NDA convener and Janata Dal-United chief Sharad Yadav told reporters after the meeting which took place at senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani`s residence.
BJP leaders said the party will speak to Biju Janata Dal (BJD) and AIADMK to support its candidate besides smaller parties.
Ansari, who is ruling United Progressive Alliance`s vice presidential candidate, has a definite edge in the Aug 7 poll, with the support of the Congress, Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party, Rashtriya Janata Dal, the DMK, the Nationalist Congress Party, the Rashtriya Lok Dal, the Communist Party of India-Marxist, National Conference and several others.
Members of the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha members directly elect the vice president. Out of the total 790 members, Ansari has the support of around 500, claimed UPA sources.
Jaswant Singh has the committed support of the BJP, Janata Dal-United, Shiv Sena, Akali Dal and several other smaller parties.
UPA constituent Trinamool Congress besides AIADMK and the BJD ave not disclosed who will they support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray