NDA stalling reforms, key bills: Moily
New Delhi: The NDA is not only stalling the economic reforms but also creating a "malicious" environment against the government, Corporate Affairs Minister Veerappa Moily said on Tuesday.
"...Main opposition political formation... Is out to oppose all the reform initiatives and simultaneously create negative canards against the Government," Moily said in a statement here.
Blaming the National Democratic Alliance for stalling reforms, he said, "DTC (Direct Tax Code) is with the Parliamentary Standing Committee headed by BJP leader Yashwant Sinha... The Goods and Services Tax Bill is also under consideration of empowered group of state finance ministers, headed by BJP Finance Minister from Bihar Sushil Modi".
On the issue of corruption, Moily said no major cases have surfaced during UPA-II regime. "Inspite of the humongous challenges to deal with Civil society, the government worked with them and came out with a strong Lok Pal Bill which is pending with Parliament for approval".
While the economy is passing through difficult times due to slow growth, increasing fiscal deficit and high inflation rate,there are "robust" indicators highlighting "very strong" fundamentals. "With sincerity and efforts of the Prime Minister, it will take no time for the economy to bounce back and resurrect itself," he said.
On the TIME magazine describing Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as an "under-achiever", Moily said the article "seems to have completely deviated from objectivity, perhaps got swayed by the malicious environment created by the main opposition party, the BJP during the recent times".
Moily said the economy grew by an average 7.7 per cent in the last 10 years. The country`s per capita net national product has nearly doubled. Besides, India`s forex reserves have risen nearly six times from USD 54 billion to nearly USD 305 billion, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Islamic preacher Zakir Naik's 'aide' arrested over alleged terror links
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP
- My presidency will restore `safety` in US, says Donald Trump in acceptance speech
- Vatican invited to mediate in Venezuela crisis
- Nigeria 'talking to' oil rebels: Buhari