NDA to bring broad changes in MNREGA
New Delhi: The NDA government has decided to bring broad changes in the rural job guarantee scheme launched by UPA by proposing at least Rs 25,000 crore of investment into agriculture alone.
The Rural Development Ministry has proposed to bring amendment to the Schedule I of the MNREGA Act "to clearly bring forth the focus on agriculture". It has proposed to add provisions after Para 4 (2) of Schedule I of the Act.
"The works taken up under MNREGA shall enhance productivity in agriculture by creating infrastructure helpful for agriculture," says the ministry in a note sent to all states seeking their suggestions on the matter.
The states have been asked to respond before June 23.
According to the proposal, the district programme coordinator shall ensure that at least 60 per cent of the works to be taken up in a district in terms of cost shall be for creation of productive assets linked to agriculture and allied activities through development of land, water and trees.
"This is expected to bring at least Rs 25,000 crore of investment into agriculture," says the ministry note.
The government has suggested new solutions to address the issues including poor asset quality, absence of adequate technical staff for planning/supervision and lack of outcome orientation in the works being carried out under the MNREGA.
"A special provision of 3 per cent of the value of works done will be created for provision of technical supervision for the works. This amount will be used to deploy required technical manpower to guide in the planning and execution," the note says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery