NDC meeting: Time limit helped us accommodate 40 speakers, says PM
New Delhi: Virtually brushing aside Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s angry walk out of the NDC meeting on Thursday, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said the electronically imposed time limit had helped in accommodating 40 speakers.
"I thank all Chief Ministers for complying with the electronically imposed time limit. Had they not complied with the limit, we would not have been able to accommodate 40 speakers even in this long session," he said in a subtle reference to Jayalalithaa`s action protesting against the time limit of 10 minutes for each CM to speak at the meeting.
Angered by the limit on her speech, Jayalalithaa walked out of the National Development Council (NDC) meeting, alleging "utter humiliation" and accusing the Centre of "stifling" the voice of Chief Ministers.
The Centre was quick to reject her charges of discrimination, saying the Prime Minister had showed a gesture by giving her chance to speak out of turn, immediately after him, and that the same time limit applied to Congress Chief Ministers as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!