NDC meeting: Time limit helped us accommodate 40 speakers, says PM
New Delhi: Virtually brushing aside Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s angry walk out of the NDC meeting on Thursday, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said the electronically imposed time limit had helped in accommodating 40 speakers.
"I thank all Chief Ministers for complying with the electronically imposed time limit. Had they not complied with the limit, we would not have been able to accommodate 40 speakers even in this long session," he said in a subtle reference to Jayalalithaa`s action protesting against the time limit of 10 minutes for each CM to speak at the meeting.
Angered by the limit on her speech, Jayalalithaa walked out of the National Development Council (NDC) meeting, alleging "utter humiliation" and accusing the Centre of "stifling" the voice of Chief Ministers.
The Centre was quick to reject her charges of discrimination, saying the Prime Minister had showed a gesture by giving her chance to speak out of turn, immediately after him, and that the same time limit applied to Congress Chief Ministers as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam