NE activists appeal China, India to stop constructing dams
Itanagar: Various organisations in the
North-east have appealed to both China and India to stop all
existing and proposed dam construction activities on Siang
River, which is known as Yarlung and Tsangpo in China and
Brahmaputra in Assam.
In a joint letter to Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh
and Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao, at least 50 organisations,
including the Arunachal Citizens` Right (ACR), have expressed
fear that the communities surviving on the river`s ecosystem
might get destroyed by the politics of water and energy.
China is not only building a series of dams but also
diverting water in the upper reaches of the Siang river in the
Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR), they claimed.
It would result in massive reduction of water flow
that would have irreparable and devastating impact on the
ecosystems and the way of life in Tibet, Arunachal Pradesh,
Assam and in the lower reaches of Bangladesh, they said.
"We also fear that India`s effort to build many dams,
including the ones in Lohit and Subansiri rivers, is a way to
preempt any Chinese dam upstream using the highly illogical
view of stopping dams in upstream by building dams in the
lower portion of the river," they said.
The activists have urged both the countries to refrain
from building any dams on the river.
"This will help build peace and trust between the two
countries. Building dams on Siang or in Yarlung and Tsangpo
will therefore be considered as seeking conflict," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC