NE exodus: `Will deal with rumourmongers with iron hand`
Kumbakonam (Tamil Nadu): Government would deal with those spreading rumours, both from India and abroad, with an iron hand in the wake of the North East people fleeing for their home-states following rumours of backlash over Assam violence, Shipping Minister GK Vasan on Monday said.
"... In India, all are Indians and can live anywhere. The Government will deal with an iron hand traitors in the country who sparked the rumours with foreign help," Shipping Minister GKVasan said, participating in the Rajiv Gandhi birth anniversary celebrations here.
On incidents of Tamil Nadu fishermen being attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy, Vasan, condemning the attacks, said he has met External Affairs Minister SM Krishna and discussed the matter.
He said he would take a delegation of fishermen and their representatives to Delhi to discuss the issue.
Referring to the Cauvery water dispute, he said Karnataka should give water to Tamil Nadu as per Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal`s interim order. Centre will urge Karnataka for release of water, he said.
On the Kudankulam nuclear power project, he hit out at the state government, saying if it had taken action against those acting as impediment to the commissioning of the plant, the project could have been commissioned earlier.
"We are not disputing cent per cent power generated there for Tamil Nadu", he said, apparently referring to Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s demand for entire 1000 mw to be generated by the first unit of KNPP to be allocated to the state.
Jayalalithaa had yesterday renewed her demand to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in this regard and hoped for a "quick response”.
During Congress leader, late Kamaraj`s tenure as chief minister, several power projects had been implemented but after that, there were no such schemes and as a result there is power scarcity, he claimed.
Load shedding is continuously prevailing in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing