Nearly 1.41 lakh Indians left Saudi Arabia in April-November last year
New Delhi: Around 1.41 lakh Indians left Saudi Arabia with emergency certificates as well as regular passport during and after the seven-month grace period following the enforcement of Nitaqat law, government said on Thursday.
"The number of Indians who left on final exit with EC as well as with regular passport during and after the seven month grace period announced by Saudi authorities is 1,41,301 (as on November 27, 2013)," Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi told the Rajya Sabha.
Ravi said that the grace period was between April 6, 2013 and November 3, 2013.
He added that all these Indian nationals could return home without facing any penal action and with no ban on their return.
He said the Indian Embassy in Riyadh received a total of 68175 EC applications, of which 42729 were distributed. The Consulate General of India in Jeddah received 26600 EC applications and 23486 of them were distributed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation