Nearly 3 crore citizens issued Aadhaar numbers
New Delhi: In all, 2.87 crore unique
identification numbers have been issued across the country so
far under the `Aadhaar` scheme and the government is targeting
to cover 60 crore citizens by 2014.
"A total of 2.87 crore Aadhaar (cards) have been issued
as of this morning. The goal is to issue 60 crore Aadhaar by
2014 and we are well on the way," Unique Identification
Authority of India (UIDAI) Chairman Nandan Nilekani said today
while addressing a FICCI seminar on `Aadhaar`.
He said the agency was scaling up the enrolment process
for the scheme, which provides the unique identification
number -- `Aadhaar`.
Around 5-6 lakh people are applying for Aadhaar card
every day, Nilekani said.
"The target is to increase arrivals to ten lakhs everyday
by October this year and then increase it further to 20
lakhs," he added.
It generally takes a few months from the date of applying
to the time the citizens receive their Aadhaar card, which
includes their personal and biometric details.
Nilekani said the number of Aadhaar cards issued have
been increasing with the passage of time. While 30 lakh cards
were issued in June, the numbers went up to 77 lakh in July,
while over one crore cards have been issued during the first
three weeks of August.
He said the agency is coming up with another database
centre in Delhi besides the existing one in Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof