Nearly 3 crore citizens issued Aadhaar numbers
New Delhi: In all, 2.87 crore unique
identification numbers have been issued across the country so
far under the `Aadhaar` scheme and the government is targeting
to cover 60 crore citizens by 2014.
"A total of 2.87 crore Aadhaar (cards) have been issued
as of this morning. The goal is to issue 60 crore Aadhaar by
2014 and we are well on the way," Unique Identification
Authority of India (UIDAI) Chairman Nandan Nilekani said today
while addressing a FICCI seminar on `Aadhaar`.
He said the agency was scaling up the enrolment process
for the scheme, which provides the unique identification
number -- `Aadhaar`.
Around 5-6 lakh people are applying for Aadhaar card
every day, Nilekani said.
"The target is to increase arrivals to ten lakhs everyday
by October this year and then increase it further to 20
lakhs," he added.
It generally takes a few months from the date of applying
to the time the citizens receive their Aadhaar card, which
includes their personal and biometric details.
Nilekani said the number of Aadhaar cards issued have
been increasing with the passage of time. While 30 lakh cards
were issued in June, the numbers went up to 77 lakh in July,
while over one crore cards have been issued during the first
three weeks of August.
He said the agency is coming up with another database
centre in Delhi besides the existing one in Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand