Nearly 51 lakh bogus ration cards deleted
New Delhi: Nearly 51 lakh bogus ration cards
were deleted from the list of beneficiaries of subsidised
foodgrains by state governments during 2008 and 2009,
Parliament was informed on Tuesday.
While the number of ration cards deleted in 2008 was
35.74 lakh, another 15.21 lakh were cancelled in the next
So far, in the current year, 12,000 fake ration cards
have been deleted from the list, Minister of State for
Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution K V Thomas said
in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
"Instructions have also been issued to all states and
Union Territories to carry out an intensive campaign to
eliminate ineligible/bogus ration cards and to take action as
per law against the person found in possession of bogus/fake
ration cards," Thomas added.
Of the total number of cards deleted, over 31.5 lakh
are from West Bengal. Gujarat comes a distant second, with
8.28 lakh bogus cards removed from the list in the past two
The Targeted Public Distribution System, under which
subsidised foodgrains are distributed, is jointly operated by
the central and state governments.
However, the operational responsibilities for allocation
of foodgrains within the states, identification of eligible
Below Poverty Line families and issuance of ration cards rest
with the state governments.
"There have been reports of inclusion as well as
exclusion errors in issuance of ration cards under the TPDS,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM