Nearly 700 scientists quit DRDO in six years: Govt
New Delhi: Nearly 700 scientists have resigned from India`s premier military research body DRDO in little less than six years from 2007, Defence Minister AK Antony said on Wednesday.
In a written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha on resignation of scientists from Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO), Antony said a total of 637 scientists resigned during 2007-2011 and 50 scientists up to October 31 this year.
Scientists who had resigned have either cited personal or domestic reasons for leaving DRDO, Antony said.
However, it is assumed that increased opportunities or incentives available in other organisations and industries are the main reason of such resignation, he added.
On incentives taken as corrective measures to restrict resignation of scientists from DRDO, Antony said excellent infrastructure facilities have been created at work places and residential complexes and two additional increments have been given on promotion to each grade.
To another question, Antony said DRDO is a subordinate organisation under Defence Ministry and does not enjoy any special powers or autonomy because of its strategic nature of work.
Asked whether DRDO enjoys a huge amount of autonomy because of its strategic nature of work, he said, "DRDO is a subordinate organisation under the Department of Defence( R&D) in Defence Ministry and is governed by central government rules and regulations.
"Therefore, DRDO as an organisation does not enjoy any special powers or autonomy because of its strategic nature of work."
Revised delegation of financial powers of Director General of DRDO was carried out in 2010 to address a long standing requirement and was done after due process and deliberation, he said.
"The process of exercise of these powers has been further rationalised and a corrigendum has been issued by Department of Defence (R&D) on November 21, 2012 as a partial modification to the earlier financial powers," the minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan