Nearly 8,500 Bangladeshis living illegally in UP
Lucknow: An estimated 8,500 Bangladeshis
are living illegally in different parts of Uttar Pradesh, a
senior government official said here today.
"Of these, about 6,000 are living in Meerut followed
by 1,800 in Lucknow and 350 in NOIDA," State Home Secretary
Dipak Kumar told reporters here.
As many as 57 Bangladeshi nationals were arrested and
18 extradited till May end this year, the official said.
The Home Secretary said that respective district
police, as part of routine exercise, conduct verification of
suspected people and wherever necessary take action.
Asked whether the people who were recently displaced
from Pipraghat area of the state capital by the district
administration under an anti-encroachment drive were
Bangladeshi nationals, he said that it was being examined.
The administration had claimed that those evicted
were suspected to be Bangladeshis. The drive had come in
for criticism from opposition parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch