`Need for dedicated minority welfare department in all states`
New Delhi: The Minority Affairs Ministry
on Friday emphasised the need for dedicated departments in all
states and Union Territories to deal with the issues related
to welfare of the communities.
During an interaction with representatives of states and
UTs, it told them that the "problem of coordination" occurs in
the absence of such an arrangement in some states.
Inaugurating an annual conference of State and UT
Secretaries and Principal Secretaries for the Welfare of
Minorities, Minority Affairs Salman Khurshid said the
percentage of priority sector lending to minorities has
increased to around 13 per cent and their employment in the
public sector units has increased to over 9 per cent.
The minister urged state governments and the UTs to work
in unison with the Centre for implementing the welfare schemes
"without indulging in one-upmanship for getting the credit".
He said he would like to see the convergence of interests
of the minorities and the majority community as happens in the
case of Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) wherein a
Minority Concentration District the majority community also
benefits thereby strengthening the social fabric.
Secretary, Minority Affairs Vivek Mehrotra said that
the cooperation between the Centre and the states and UTs on
welfare of minorities should be further strengthened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery