`Need for greater Indo-US counterterrorism cooperation`
Washington: There is need for greater counterterrorism cooperation between India and US, an eminent US lawmaker has said.
"I believe that one of the most important decisions the US has made in recent years is to strengthen our relationship with the democratic nation of India. With that relationship, one of our most important decisions has been to cooperate and coordinate on matters dealing with homeland security," Congressman Joe Crowley said on the floor of the US House of Representatives.
Crowley along with Congressman Ed Royce have moved an amendment to the Homeland Security Appropriations Act 2013 in this regard.
"It is the sense of Congress that the Department of Homeland Security should increase coordination with India on efforts to prevent terrorist attacks in the US and India," the amendment says.
"The fact is that both the US and India face threats of terrorist attacks. The people of India will never forget the tragedy of 9/11. After all, many of those who were killed were of Indian origin," he said.
"The people of the US looked on in horror as terrorists carried out the brutal Mumbai attacks. In those attacks, terrorists killed not only Indians but Americans as well. 9/11 and Mumbai remind us of why it is important that we work together with India, and the people of our two countries remind us of why we must sustain and deepen that cooperation even further," Crowley said.
"So I want to urge the Department of Homeland Security to continue the important work that it is doing with regard to India to help ensure that both of our countries are safe from terrorist attack," Crowley said seeking the support of his Congressional colleagues in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town