Need for more Indian scholars to study China: Ramesh
New Delhi: There are more Chinese scholars and journalists in India than Indians studying or reporting there, noted union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh, calling for a better understanding among Indian scholars of the various aspects of Chinese society, economy and polity.
Speaking at the release function of the book "Across the Himalayan Gap: A Chinese quest for Understanding India", Ramesh said Thursday evening that factors of geography, history and economics have put India and China together.
"We have more Chinese scholars studying in India, more Chinese journalists in India, than Indians... This calls for a major investment, not just on the part of the government but business and academic institutions (to do likewise)," he said.
He hoped the publication would help stimulate further scholarship among younger scholars on various aspects of China and "lead to better understanding within India of what surely must be the most critical economic geopolitical and geo-economic challenge that we face -- how do we deal with a peaceful rising China, and the emergence as a world economic superpower and all its attendant consequences".
Former ambassador T.C.A. Rangachari, director International Academy, Jamia Millia Islamia, said one view was to look at India-China relations in a civilizational framework "that posits that India and China are not classical nation states but civilizational states, with each having its historical, civilizational sphere in the Himalayan sphere going back to the Harappan era, long before India and China emerged".
Former ambassador Nalin Surie said the construction of a Buddhist temple by India in Louyang, in Henan was a positive aspect of their relations.
The book, published by Konark, has been edited by Tan Chung, Zhang Minqiu and Ravni Thakur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH