Need for rebuilding Indo-Australia education ties: Envoy
Chennai: Describing attacks on Indian
students in his country as a distressing issue, Australian
High Commissioner to India Peter Varghese today stressed the
need for rebuilding the education relationship between the two
"It (the attacks) has been a distressing issue for
Australia. We are dealing with a complicated issue of law and
order... we should re-build our education relationship, which
could serve the Indian students and also further improve the
bilateral relations between both the countries", he said at
the Indo-Australian Chamber of Commerce`s 20th annual day.
He said there were about one lakh India students studying
in Australia and their primary intention was to work rather
than studying due to financial pressure.
More than 60,000 of them had taken educational loan.
Hence the intention of most of the students was to work and
they take up part-time late night jobs, which was risky, he
On the trade aspects between the countries, he said last
year the trade growth was about 55 per cent. Once the Free
Trade Agreement was finalised, the volume would increase
further, he said.
Earlier, Varghese called on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M
Karunanidhi at the Secretariat and discussed about improving
economic ties between the state and Australia, an official
release said here.
Speaking to the reporters after the meeting, he said
Australia was taking firm steps to end attacks on Indian
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi