Need for sophisticated radars to forewarn Uttarakhand-like situation: Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
Mumbai: Former President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam on Monday stressed the need for having sophisticated radars installed in critical areas to predict exact rainfall and forewarn about the calamity of Uttarakhand magnitude.
"We must have polarimetric radar and Doppler radar in critical areas such as Uttarakhand as they will help forecast heavy rainfall," Kalam said.
He was speaking after visiting the Centre of Excellence for Minimal Access Surgery Training (CEMAST) in suburban Mumbai.
To a query, the former President said "doctors do have a biological heart and they must also have a kind heart..A combination of which will make people happy".
While polarimetric radars transmit radio wave pulses to give measure of cloud water and cloud ice, the Doppler radar has the added capability of being able to determine wind speed, which are important pre-requisites in weather forecast.
Meanwhile, speaking at another function in Meera Road in neighbouring Thane district, Kalam appealed to private hospitals in the country to make available their state-of-the-art facilities in villages as well.
He was addressing a function after inaugurating Heart Care Centre of Bhakti Vedanta Hospital.
"The true need of medical services is in the tribal areas of the country. A majority of medical services should be made available in these areas. Mobile vans should be sent to the remote areas to serve the needy," Kalam said.
He expressed concern over growing incidence of heart disease among youngsters.
"It would be a great service to the mankind if doctors go to the doorstep of the poor and needy patients," Kalam added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan