Need more Calcutta High Court judges in apex court: CJI
Kolkata: Observing that there weren`t many Calcutta High Court judges in the Supreme Court, Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir on Friday said they needed more of them "to shake up Delhi".
Speaking at the launch of the website of the Indian Law Institute`s West Bengal unit and an e-book, "The High Court at Calcutta 150 Years: An Overview" here, Kabir expressed his disappointment at the lack of judges from the Calcutta High Court in the apex court.
"Unfortunately I don`t see many Calcutta judges in Delhi. We need more of them. We need more of Calcutta to shake up Delhi," said Kabir, himself a former Calcutta High Court judge.
He said the launch of Indian Law Institute`s West Bengal website was long overdue and urged the institute`s state chapter to come up with more publications.
"ILI Bengal needs to be revitilised. It has sufficient means and should endeavour to bring out more publications for the benefit of the public at large," said Kabir adding that the ILI Delhi will soon come out with a book on copyright and neighbouring rights protection in India.
The Indian Law Institute is an autonomous body with its national unit at New Delhi, and each state having a unit. It was founded in 1956 with the objective of promoting and conducting legal education and research. It was granted the status of a Deemed University in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah