Need more scholarships for disabled persons: Par Committee
New Delhi: A Parliamentary committee has
pulled up the social justice and empowerment ministry for
inadequate number of scholarships for disabled persons across
the country and asked it to introduce more such benefits.
"Though the ministry has said that they are
implementing a scholarship scheme for students with
disabilities from a fund called National fund for people with
disabilities, the Committee`s opinion is that providing mere
500 scholarships is not sufficient," the Standing Committee on
Social Justice and Empowerment said in its report tabled in
Parliament on Wednesday.
The Committee also said it was unconvinced with the
Ministry`s reply that disability is in the state list and many
states are not implementing their own scholarship schemes for
It observed that out of the 28 states and seven Union
Territories, only 16 states are implementing their own
scholarship schemes for students with disabilities.
"The Committee has recommended that the Ministry
introduce and implement scholarship schemes for disabled
students covering all states and UTs in the pattern of
scholarship schemes as it exists for OBCs/implementing," the
The Committee also conveyed its unhappiness over the
`nil` expenditure under the scheme of assistance for
construction of old age homes for the indigent senior citizens
from 2007 to 2010.
"The reason cited by the Ministry for nil expenditure
was that the scheme was still awaiting approval of the
Planning Commission. It has been recommended that the scheme
should be formulated early and its details be worked out
expeditiously within the first trimester of the financial
year," it observed.
- Russian GP: Nico Rosberg wins seventh race in succession as Lewis Hamilton recovers to second spot
- No need for cash; pay through mobile phone at Café Coffee Day now
- VVIP chopper scam: RSS mouthpiece dares Congress to reveal who's 'Signora Gandhi' mentioned in Italian court
- EPL: Anthony Martial strikes as Manchester United make Leicester City wait for title
- PM Modi visits Varanasi, launches 'e-boats' at Assi Ghat: In Pics