Need more scholarships for disabled persons: Par Committee
New Delhi: A Parliamentary committee has
pulled up the social justice and empowerment ministry for
inadequate number of scholarships for disabled persons across
the country and asked it to introduce more such benefits.
"Though the ministry has said that they are
implementing a scholarship scheme for students with
disabilities from a fund called National fund for people with
disabilities, the Committee`s opinion is that providing mere
500 scholarships is not sufficient," the Standing Committee on
Social Justice and Empowerment said in its report tabled in
Parliament on Wednesday.
The Committee also said it was unconvinced with the
Ministry`s reply that disability is in the state list and many
states are not implementing their own scholarship schemes for
It observed that out of the 28 states and seven Union
Territories, only 16 states are implementing their own
scholarship schemes for students with disabilities.
"The Committee has recommended that the Ministry
introduce and implement scholarship schemes for disabled
students covering all states and UTs in the pattern of
scholarship schemes as it exists for OBCs/implementing," the
The Committee also conveyed its unhappiness over the
`nil` expenditure under the scheme of assistance for
construction of old age homes for the indigent senior citizens
from 2007 to 2010.
"The reason cited by the Ministry for nil expenditure
was that the scheme was still awaiting approval of the
Planning Commission. It has been recommended that the scheme
should be formulated early and its details be worked out
expeditiously within the first trimester of the financial
year," it observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!