`Need political will to deal with terror havens`
United Nations: Noting that there has been no let up in terrorist violence in Afghanistan, India has called for concerted action to isolate and root out the syndicate of terrorism including elements of Al Qaeda, Taliban, and Laskar-e-Toiba.
"These groups are ideologically and operationally fused and their bonds have strengthened over the years," India`s Permanent Representative Hardeep Puri said Monday speaking on `The Situation In Afghanistan` in the UN General Assembly.
"We need resolute determination and political will to firmly deal with safe havens for terrorist groups outside Afghanistan`s borders," he said.
Puri said India fully supports an Afghan-led and Afghan owned inclusive and transparent process of reconciliation, accompanied by an inclusive political process and intra-Afghan dialogue and include renunciation of violence, cutting of ties to terrorist groups and abiding by the Afghan constitution.
"India believes in a strong, independent, sovereign, stable, united, democratic and prosperous Afghanistan at peace with itself and its neighbours," he said. "Recent history has shown that an end to Afghanistan`s suffering requires an end to external interference in its internal affairs."
Besides security, concomitant progress on the developmental front was also needed, Puri said noting, "This also implies greater coherence, coordination and further streamlining of international community`s development-related efforts including aligning of assistance with Afghan national priorities."
India will stand by the people of Afghanistan as they prepare to assume the responsibility for their governance and security after the withdrawal of international forces in 2014, he said.
"The international community as a whole needs to work with renewed vigour and unity of purpose towards strengthening efforts of the Afghan government in seeking solutions that are inclusive and led by the Afghan people themselves," Puri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya