`Need political will to deal with terror havens`
United Nations: Noting that there has been no let up in terrorist violence in Afghanistan, India has called for concerted action to isolate and root out the syndicate of terrorism including elements of Al Qaeda, Taliban, and Laskar-e-Toiba.
"These groups are ideologically and operationally fused and their bonds have strengthened over the years," India`s Permanent Representative Hardeep Puri said Monday speaking on `The Situation In Afghanistan` in the UN General Assembly.
"We need resolute determination and political will to firmly deal with safe havens for terrorist groups outside Afghanistan`s borders," he said.
Puri said India fully supports an Afghan-led and Afghan owned inclusive and transparent process of reconciliation, accompanied by an inclusive political process and intra-Afghan dialogue and include renunciation of violence, cutting of ties to terrorist groups and abiding by the Afghan constitution.
"India believes in a strong, independent, sovereign, stable, united, democratic and prosperous Afghanistan at peace with itself and its neighbours," he said. "Recent history has shown that an end to Afghanistan`s suffering requires an end to external interference in its internal affairs."
Besides security, concomitant progress on the developmental front was also needed, Puri said noting, "This also implies greater coherence, coordination and further streamlining of international community`s development-related efforts including aligning of assistance with Afghan national priorities."
India will stand by the people of Afghanistan as they prepare to assume the responsibility for their governance and security after the withdrawal of international forces in 2014, he said.
"The international community as a whole needs to work with renewed vigour and unity of purpose towards strengthening efforts of the Afghan government in seeking solutions that are inclusive and led by the Afghan people themselves," Puri said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India