Need technology innovation in rural areas: Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday said technology innovation was needed in rural areas to cater to the majority of Indians who live in villages.
At the inauguration of the first "Engineers Conclave 2013" here, Mukherjee said rural India needed tools that were "simple, repairable by local technicians and usable without electricity".
"In our country, a large population lives in villages and there is need for specific technology innovation for rural areas. Our country needs innovations that are simple and sustainable in a rural context," said Mukherjee.
"The achievements of Indian engineers have not adequately percolated down to the grassroots and the potential to impact the common man`s life is yet to be fully exploited," he added.
Mukherjee said emphasis must be laid on innovation and its various dimensions like process innovation, product innovation, business model innovation and new technology innovation.
"Innovation is a key managerial strategy for growth," Mukherjee said, and called upon the industry to develop close partnerships with universities and research institutions to take "this aspiration forward".
"The innovation capability of our scientists and engineers will play a critical role in enabling India achieve this goal. People should be at the heart of the engineering effort, reaching out to human resources, consumers and vendors," he said.
The conclave was jointly organised by the Indian National Academy Engineering (INAE) and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters