Need to balance growth and sustainability: Jairam Ramesh
New Delhi: India needs to be obsessed with high economic growth but should also try to marry it with sustainable development, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said here on Thursday.
"India needs to be obsessed with high economic growth as we have to address the issue of inclusive development," Ramesh said at an Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development meet here.
He said India needed eight percent growth since the country had to provide jobs to 100 million people who would enter the workforce in the next decade.
Observing that there has been an overwhelming consensus on faster growth in the past few years, Ramesh said India could not moderate growth to address the issue of sustainability.
"We need a balance of both," he said.
According to the minister, India is still groping to find institutional mechanisms to ensure sustainability in development while protecting vital ecological resources like water, forests and land and needs to break out of the traditional system of regulation.
Ramesh said the challenge before the government would be to demonstrate that sustainability would take along development process and not be a drag on economic growth.
He agreed that the government`s sustainability efforts had not succeeded much.
"We have ecological poverty in many parts of the country where water bodies and forest resources have depleted... We have failed to link sustainability with public health and livelihood issues," said Ramesh.
The solution, he said, was to build community-based institutions as an alternative to the heavy hand of the government and market forces.
Indicating that the country was still a few years away from having exact measurements of sustainability requirements, Ramesh hoped the government would have a fix in five years.
"We hope to have a national-level measurement in five years," said Ramesh.
While batting for high economic growth, the minister agreed that there were imbalances in the strategy related to growth in the manufacturing and agricultural sectors.
"We`re addressing them," he said.
Ramesh said the government was making difficult choices by ensuring protection of forests, wastelands and tribal habitations while pursuing development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27