Need to ban opinion polls: CEC
Chennai: Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi on Saturday favoured a ban on opinion polls before elections, saying they affected poll propects of political parties.
"Though exit polls had been banned, opinion polls are
still allowed and political parties are hit by it," Quraishi
said at a seminar on "Electoral and Political Reforms" here.
Underlining the need to ban opinion polls conducted
before elections, he said it was a major problem which could
even lead to "paid opinion polls".
"In the circumstances, when news can be paid, even
opinion polls can be paid," he said.
Speaking to reporters later, he said the Election
Commission was yet to receive the report from its Technical
Expert Committee on ways to improve the Electronic Voting
Machines system and on provision of voter verifiable paper
audit trail system in EVMs.
"The Expert committee met in December and all the
political parties were invited to take part in the day long
conference. They (Political Parties) had given their
proposals.. the committee is examining them..", he said.
"Several proposals were received during the conference --
there are technical proposals and administrative proposals.
After examining all those details, we (Election Commission)
will take a view on it..", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof