Need to ban opinion polls: CEC
Chennai: Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi on Saturday favoured a ban on opinion polls before elections, saying they affected poll propects of political parties.
"Though exit polls had been banned, opinion polls are
still allowed and political parties are hit by it," Quraishi
said at a seminar on "Electoral and Political Reforms" here.
Underlining the need to ban opinion polls conducted
before elections, he said it was a major problem which could
even lead to "paid opinion polls".
"In the circumstances, when news can be paid, even
opinion polls can be paid," he said.
Speaking to reporters later, he said the Election
Commission was yet to receive the report from its Technical
Expert Committee on ways to improve the Electronic Voting
Machines system and on provision of voter verifiable paper
audit trail system in EVMs.
"The Expert committee met in December and all the
political parties were invited to take part in the day long
conference. They (Political Parties) had given their
proposals.. the committee is examining them..", he said.
"Several proposals were received during the conference --
there are technical proposals and administrative proposals.
After examining all those details, we (Election Commission)
will take a view on it..", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH