Need to bridge gap between rural, urban: Kalam
Mohali: The gap between urban and rural should be bridged for overall development of the country, former President and `Missile Man of India` A P J Abdul Kalam said on Thursday.
Addressing engineering students of Chandigarh University during a convocation ceremony at Landran near here, Kalam said development of rural areas was the need of the hour as the real power of the country lies in its villages.
Sharing his vision of making India a world power till 2020, Kalam said there was a need to bridge the gap between urban and the rural areas for the country`s all round development.
He also emphasised on the need to develop agriculture, food processing, education and power sector of the country.
`Vision-2020` should become a national movement so that India could become world power within the remaining seven years, he said, adding, young students should take responsibility to take the country forward.
The 82-year-old scientist clicked instantly with the students as he began his speech with the verses of a 13th century poem.
"I am born with potential, I am born with goodness, I am born with ideas and dreams," he recited quoting the verses of Persian Sufi poet Jalaluddin Rumi.
Sharing anecdotes from his student life, Kalam recalled how he initially failed to design a low-level attack aircraft in 1957 at Madras Engineering college but did not give up until he succeeded.
"I failed in my first attempt, my guide came to me and said the result is disappointing, and then I worked harder and designed the aircraft in one month," he said, advising students not to bother about failures and carry on till they achieve their goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh