Need to create consensus on reservation for Muslims: PM
Hyderabad: Stating that the UPA government
was committed to the welfare of minorities, Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, in a letter to Jamiat Ulama-I-Hind, said that
there was a need to create "broad-based national consensus on
the issue of reservations to the Muslim community."
Responding to a memorandum submitted by Jamiat
Ulama-I-Hind, the Prime Minister in a letter to the
organisation`s National President Moulana Qari Mohammed Osman
said the government is committed to the welfare of the
minorities in the country, according to a release sent by
Jamiat Ulama-I-Hind, Andhra Pradesh unit here today.
There was a need for broad-based national consensus to
move forward on the issue of reservations to the Muslim
community, the Prime Minister said.
Highlighting the measures taken up for the welfare of
the Muslim community, Singh said the budget of the Ministry of
Minority Affairs has gone up from Rs 500 crore in 2007 to
Rs 2600 in 2010-11.
He said that every year more than 20 lakh students
belonging to minority communities were given scholarships to
study in schools, colleges and universities.
The Prime Minister has said more than Rs 2000 crore
have been sanctioned for special development plans in over 80
minority concentrated districts in the country, the release
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!