Need to end all acts of violence against women: Sonia
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of rising crimes against women, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Saturday said making laws for their empowerment is not enough as they will have to be implemented properly on ground.
"We realise that by just making laws and announcing policies would not be enough to empower women. Along with it, policies and laws will have to be implemented properly on ground," she said while addressing a gathering at the launch of the Ahimsa Messenger scheme, under which volunteers will be created to spread awareness on women`s issues.
"We should end all acts of violence against women and initiate all steps so that women feel safe and become fearless, empowered and they are given the respect," Gandhi said.
The Congress president`s statement on the issue comes at a time when the number of incidents of crime against women are witnessing a rising trend.
Urging the people to launch a "social revolution" for empowering women, the Congress President said, "The most fundamental issue that the mindset and old thoughts of our society have to be changed. Giving women equal status as men is a very big challenge and the wall of discrimination amongst women has to be demolished."
Gandhi said it is the collective responsibility of all women to initiate this process of giving equal status to women right from their homes.
"We all know that the social outlook of our children is formed inside the four walls of our homes. The girl in the family should be given the same status as that of her brother in a family. Girls too have a right to get education, development and employment as that of the boy in the family," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch