Need to further examine NCTC provisions: Chavan
New Delhi: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday called for further examination of certain provisions of the NCTC dealing with operations against terrorist groups in states.
"Paragraphs 5.2 and 5.3 of the proposed draft order require further examination to understand the implications of these provisions on operational efficacy and clarity on respective roles in such joint operations," Chavan said, addressing a conference of chief ministers on internal security.
Paragraph 5.2 of the draft order to set up the National Counter Terrorism Centre stipulates that operations against terror groups would be carried out through or in conjunction with the state police forces.
The subsequent paragraph states that the NCTC shall have the authority to requisition the services of special forces to assist the state police for any operation against terrorist of terrorist group.
Chavan also sought Central help in strengthening the intelligence wing by assisting the states in using "cutting edge technology for data mining, voice identification and call data analysis."
The Chief Minister also wanted the Centre to set up FM radio stations to relay programmes in local dialects in the Left wing extremism affected areas to counter the "targeted and sustained multi-lingual propaganda" of the Naxal outfits.
"It is important to launch counter-campaign to expose the anti-development actions and unconstitutional stance of the Maoists," Chavan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says