Need to identify inspired teachers to shape young minds: President
Chennai: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday said it would not be possible for India to occupy high tables in international society unless it improves the quality of higher education and stressed on the need to identify inspired teachers who could shape young minds.
"We have a solid higher education infrastructure with over 650 degree awarding institutions and over 33,000 colleges but the enrolment rate in higher education in the eligible age group is just 7 per cent (18.6 million). None of our universities are among the top 200 in the world," the President regretted.
Addressing students and academicians after inaugurating the Loyola College School of Commerce and Economics here this afternoon, he said, "I feel sad and have repeated it almost like a parrot in large number of the academic functions that how is it that out of 200 world-class top universities and institutions not a single Indian university finds its place."
The President said this was however not the situation in the past.
"Since the days of Takshila in the sixth century to that of Nalanda later, India was a magnet that drew students, scholars and brilliant personalities to study in its universities.
"While there is no lack of talented students and teachers now, how is it still any of our institutions are not rated," he asked.
"I find, almost with a magnifying glass, our ranking is 439 or 500 or so. Not only Europe and North America (but) China, Israel, Saudi Arabia and many others are well ahead of us. We must change this scenario," he said, adding the country cannot simply occupy the high place in international community if the educational standards are not improved.
Indian institutions faced shortage of good faculty, he said, while stressing the need to fill up vacancies, besides building skills of teachers.
Calling for identifying "inspired teachers" he said they would inspire and shape young minds who could lead the country towards the path of development in the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre