Need to improve methodology to identify poor: NCP leader
New Delhi: There is a need for improvement in the methodology to identify the poor and the Planning Commission should review the criteria for arriving at poverty numbers, NCP leader and Minister of State for Agriculture Tariq Anwar said on Tuesday.
Anwar`s remarks come in the wake of a major uproar over the recent poverty estimates.
"Planning Commission should review the criteria for identification of poverty level," he said on the sidelines of a Bio-Agri summit.
"There is a scope for improvement in the criteria as times have changed," he added.
Anwar said there is a need to change the criteria as prices have risen.
Yesterday, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia had admitted that the method of tabulating the number of poor is "abstract" and said it is being reworked.
Ahluwalia sought to distance himself from the controversial data released last week according to which poverty figures declined to 21.9 percent in 2011-12 from 37.2 percent in 2004-05, saying the figures were based on the assessment of an expert committee.
When asked about Congress taking credit of bringing food security ordinance, Anwar said that the credit goes to all parties part of the government, including the NCP.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents