Need to raise admn structure to look after MNREGA: C P Joshi
New Delhi: Noting that there are
"malpractices" in the implementation of MNREGA, Union Minister
for Rural Development C P Joshi today said there was need to
raise an administrative structure on which both villagers and
government could rely to look after the flagship programme.
"I don`t refuse to accept that there are leakages and
malpractices (in the implementation of NREGA) and so there is
need to raise such a structure on which both villagers and
government can rely," he said.
Joshi was addressing a group of about 53 "eminent"
people who have been recently appointed by the Ministry to
independently monitor the rural employment guarantee scheme.
Those appointed as NREGA monitors included Justice
(Retd.) M A Khan of the Allahabad High Court, former Vice
chancellor of Allahabad University R P Mishra and former DG of
CISF V L Vohra.
Joshi said delayed wage payment to NREGA workers,
unspent funds from the budget outlay, reports of
misappropriations in the implementation process are some of
the core issues that the ministry is facing.
"Involvement of eminent senior citizens is a step to
rectify the malfunctions noticed so far. Also, their visit to
the states and districts can provide a mechanism for an
independent third party assessment of the situation and an
important source of feedback to the Government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack