Need to revive debate on relook at Constitution: Arun Shourie
Mumbai: Former Union Minister Arun Shourie on Friday said the debate on the need to review the Constitution should be revived.
He was delivering a lecture on `governance deficit`, organised by the Observer Research Foundation here.
"Till 1970, there was an active debate in India on whether we need another Constitution," Shourie said. Jayprakash Narayan had proposed a complete overhaul of the system, he said.
"Indira Gandhi`s cousin BK Nehru, an eminent civil servant, had pleaded for switching over to the Presidential system," he said.
After the 42nd amendment brought in by Indira Gandhi nobody thought of having a second look at the Constitution, he added.
"When Vajpayee and Advani set up the Venkatchaliah Commission, it was attacked so ferociously that it did not examine the structure (of the Constitution) but just wrote footnotes to existing Articles.
"We must revive that debate. We are already in a quasi presidential system. What is parliamentary is our method of obstruction," he said.
"So many facts of the present system are not known. You call this a Parliamentary system.....In a previous Lok Sabha, 99.4 per cent members were elected on minority vote," Shourie said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!