Need to sensitise policemen dealing with rape cases: Tirath
New Delhi: Condemning the brutal rape of the five-year old girl in the city and mishandling of the case by police, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Saturday said there is a need to sensitise policemen in dealing with such cases.
"I had met the Delhi Police Commissioner some days back and had asked him to sensitise police officers while dealing with such cases. The behaviour of the police officers dealing with such sensitive matters needs to be a crucial part of their training," the Minister said in a statement here.
Assuring all possible help to the victim`s family, she said, "I am deeply shocked and aggrieved. I condemn this act in the strictest words. The ministry of Women and Child Development will extend all possible help to the child and her family."
Later, Tirath told PTI that she had spoken to the Home Minister on the need to focus on police response in such cases.
"I have spoken to the Home minister on the need to sensitise police. I have also sought a report from the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights over the incident. Presently we are very concerned over the well being of the child," Tirath said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened