Need to teach our sons to respect women: Minister
New Delhi: Taking note of the large number of crimes against women in recent days, Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh Wednesday said there was need to educate children to respect women.
"Humans have become beastly. There are rapes in schools, families. According to reports, 90 percent rapes are done by people who are known to the victim," RPN Singh said, while replying to supplementaries during question hour in the Rajya Sabha.
"We need to teach our children, our sons to respect women," the minister said.
The minister also said that government, at different levels, was providing women self-defence training.
"In 2012, 9,790 women have been given self defence training in Delhi. Delhi Police has also organised training programme for women cab drivers," the minister said.
He said that all states have been asked to recruit at least 33 percent women in the police forces.
"Delhi Police will also be recruiting 522 women," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement