Need to verify charges against Balakrishnan`s kin: Moily
Bangalore: Amidst a demand for a probe into charges that former Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan`s son-in-law had amassed disproportionate assets, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily on Tuesday said the matter needs to be verified.
"The demand by (former Supreme Court judge) Justice VR Krishna Iyer...how far the former CJI, Justice Balakrishnan was involved in it. Whether he has misused his office as CJI-these matters have to be verified. Without basis I cannot speak (on it)," he told reporters here.
Iyer had yesterday demanded a high-level probe into the issue. He suggested that a three-judge panel should go into the allegations.
Balakrishnan`s son-in-law P V Sreenijin has allegedly amassed wealth to the tune of several crores in the past four years.
Sreenijin, who had declared only assets worth Rs 25,000 in the affidavit filed in the 2006 Assembly polls (he was the Congress candidate from Njarackal,) now allegedly owns several prime properties, including a riverside plot of 2.5 acres at Annamanada in Thrissur.
He and his wife Sony have also said to have acquired a flat in the city, a plum office space near the High Court and 25 cents of land at Elamakkara (in the suburbs of Kochi) where the construction of a bungalow is in progress, according to media reports.
Both Sreenijin and Sony are practising advocates.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know