Need to verify charges against Balakrishnan`s kin: Moily
Bangalore: Amidst a demand for a probe into charges that former Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan`s son-in-law had amassed disproportionate assets, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily on Tuesday said the matter needs to be verified.
"The demand by (former Supreme Court judge) Justice VR Krishna Iyer...how far the former CJI, Justice Balakrishnan was involved in it. Whether he has misused his office as CJI-these matters have to be verified. Without basis I cannot speak (on it)," he told reporters here.
Iyer had yesterday demanded a high-level probe into the issue. He suggested that a three-judge panel should go into the allegations.
Balakrishnan`s son-in-law P V Sreenijin has allegedly amassed wealth to the tune of several crores in the past four years.
Sreenijin, who had declared only assets worth Rs 25,000 in the affidavit filed in the 2006 Assembly polls (he was the Congress candidate from Njarackal,) now allegedly owns several prime properties, including a riverside plot of 2.5 acres at Annamanada in Thrissur.
He and his wife Sony have also said to have acquired a flat in the city, a plum office space near the High Court and 25 cents of land at Elamakkara (in the suburbs of Kochi) where the construction of a bungalow is in progress, according to media reports.
Both Sreenijin and Sony are practising advocates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan