Neeraj Kumar has links with Abhishek Verma: AAP
New Delhi: Amid growing clamour for the resignation of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, Aam Adami Party (AAP) on Monday accused him of having links with Abhishek Verma, an accused in the infamous naval war room leak case.
"Neeraj Kumar has close links with Abhishek Verma who is an accused in the naval war room leak case," said AAP member and top lawyer Prashant Bhushan.
"Edmonds Allen, who was a close associate of Verma had written to Pulok Chatterji (principal secretary to prime minister) that Kumar has links with the alleged arms dealer. Despite that he continued to be the police commissioner," he said citing the letter the copies of which were circulated to the media.
However, the Delhi Police, in a statement, have described these allegations as "baseless", "unfounded" and "ludicrous".
"These allegations are at the behest of people who have been arrayed as accused in investigations conducted under his supervision during his tenure in the Central Bureau of Investigation," said a statement from Delhi Police.
"It appears that Mr. Prashant Bhushan is now acting at the behest of the same vested interests, i.e. accused people and particularly those whom CP (commissioner of police) had investigated during his tenure in the CBI and who have, thereafter, filed several petitions against him, as he was not willing to bend or compromise in their case," it added.
Verma was booked for allegedly possessing secret documents relating to the Indian Navy, its acquisition plans and other information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- From Olympic glory to jail: Oscar Pistorius' bid to challenge six-year jail term fails
- Piers Morgan TWEETS AGAIN: UK journalist takes credit for PM Modi setting up task force for next three Olympics
- MS Dhoni says it will be an interesting series against `extraordinary` West Indies
- Obama creates world's largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- How malaria supports spread of infectious cancer in Africa