Neeraj Kumar has links with Abhishek Verma: AAP
New Delhi: Amid growing clamour for the resignation of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, Aam Adami Party (AAP) on Monday accused him of having links with Abhishek Verma, an accused in the infamous naval war room leak case.
"Neeraj Kumar has close links with Abhishek Verma who is an accused in the naval war room leak case," said AAP member and top lawyer Prashant Bhushan.
"Edmonds Allen, who was a close associate of Verma had written to Pulok Chatterji (principal secretary to prime minister) that Kumar has links with the alleged arms dealer. Despite that he continued to be the police commissioner," he said citing the letter the copies of which were circulated to the media.
However, the Delhi Police, in a statement, have described these allegations as "baseless", "unfounded" and "ludicrous".
"These allegations are at the behest of people who have been arrayed as accused in investigations conducted under his supervision during his tenure in the Central Bureau of Investigation," said a statement from Delhi Police.
"It appears that Mr. Prashant Bhushan is now acting at the behest of the same vested interests, i.e. accused people and particularly those whom CP (commissioner of police) had investigated during his tenure in the CBI and who have, thereafter, filed several petitions against him, as he was not willing to bend or compromise in their case," it added.
Verma was booked for allegedly possessing secret documents relating to the Indian Navy, its acquisition plans and other information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan