Negative voting will accelerate political participation: SC
New Delhi: Giving option of negative voting would empower voters and will accelerate effective political participation making the democracy vibrant, the Supreme Court on Friday said.
"By providing NOTA (none of the above) button in the EVMs, it will accelerate the effective political participation in the present state of democratic system and the voters in fact will be empowered," a bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam said.
The apex court said negative vote will foster the purity of the electoral process and also fulfil one of its objectives, namely, wide participation of people.
It said there is a "dire need" for negative voting which will bring "systemic change" in the election process as "the political parties will be forced to accept the will of the people" and field clean candidates when a large number of people express their disapproval with the candidates being put up by them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP