Negative voting will accelerate political participation: SC
New Delhi: Giving option of negative voting would empower voters and will accelerate effective political participation making the democracy vibrant, the Supreme Court on Friday said.
"By providing NOTA (none of the above) button in the EVMs, it will accelerate the effective political participation in the present state of democratic system and the voters in fact will be empowered," a bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam said.
The apex court said negative vote will foster the purity of the electoral process and also fulfil one of its objectives, namely, wide participation of people.
It said there is a "dire need" for negative voting which will bring "systemic change" in the election process as "the political parties will be forced to accept the will of the people" and field clean candidates when a large number of people express their disapproval with the candidates being put up by them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3