Nehru Place notorious market for pirated goods: US
Washington: The United States has named New
Delhi`s popular Nehru Place as among the world`s notorious
markets for pirated and counterfeited products including
`Notorious Markets List` prepared by the Office of the US
Trade Representative (USTR) has named more than 30 Internet
and physical markets that are trading in pirated products.
"Nehru Place is reportedly one of the many markets in
major cities throughout India that are known for dealing in
large volumes of pirated software, optical media and
counterfeit goods", the USTR report released on Monday said.
The list also includes China`s popular website Baidu,
Silk Market in Beijing, Pakistan`s Urdu Bazaars and Thailand`s
Red Zones shopping areas.
The `Notorious Markets List` identifies selected markets,
including those in the Internet, that show market places which
are "helping to sustain global piracy and counterfeiting",
according to the USTR.
Counterfeiting and piracy activities are causing losses
worth billions of dollars to the global economy. Going by
various studies, India has a high level of piracy in various
segments including software.
A recent study projected that the value of counterfeit
and pirated products sold worldwide is expected to grow to as
high as USD 1.78 trillion by 2015.
About Baidu, the report noted the website provides users
with links to online locations that contain allegedly
The list also includes numerous examples of websites
involved in Bit Torrent tracking and indexing, which facilitate
the high speed transfer of infringing materials between users.
There are also Internet markets involved in specific
activities such as piracy of sports telecasts, Smartphone
software and physical products, USTR said.
US Trade Representative Ron Kirk said these notorious
markets not only hurt American workers and businesses, but are
threats to entrepreneurs and industries worldwide.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?