Nehru remembered on 120th birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Sunday fondly remembered the country`s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on his 120th birth anniversary with President Pratiba Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh leading the countrymen in pay rich tributes to the leader.
Patil and Singh paid floral tributes to Nehru at Shanti Van, his memorial on the banks of Yamuna here this morning amid chants of vedic hymns and songs by a group of students.
Besides the President and Prime Minister, Vice President Hamid Ansari, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Delhi Chief Minister and Sheila Dikshit were among the prominent persons who paid floral tributes at the memorial.
The dignitaries also released tricolour balloons in the air as students played the band.
Singh, Gandhi, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and BJP leader LK Advani paid floral tributes at Nehru`s portrait in the Central hall of Parliament.
On the occasion, an on-the-spot drawing competition was also organised by the children`s corner of Parliament library in which 268 children participated.
Cultural programmes were organised in city schools as the day is also observed as Children`s Day. Nehru was fond of children and was known as Chacha Nehru during his lifetime.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) also organised a colourful programme to celebrate Children`s Day.
Around 5,000 primary school children presented cultural programme at the functions. Hundreds of students from schools located in slum clusters, resettlement colonies and other parts of the city.
In Nehru`s birthplace Allahabad, Congress leaders including UPCC vice-president Shekhar Bahugna, party leader in state Assembly Pramod Tiwari, local MLA Anugrah Narain Singh and Mayor Chaudhary Jitendranath Singh gathered at the historic Anand Bhawan, the ancestral house which has been
converted into a memorial and museum.
The leaders offered floral tributes to the portrait of the first Prime Minister and said that his dream to build a modern and prosperous India and promote communal harmony and a scientific temper would be fulfilled by Congress
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights