Nelson Mandela, a true Gandhian, will continue to inspire: Sheila Dikshit
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit condoled the death of Nelson Mandela on Friday while describing him as a true Gandhian, an outstanding hero and a crusader against apartheid.
"Mandela was a true Gandhian and an outstanding world personality. We all Indians have great respect for him. His enormous contribution in elimination of apartheid will always be remembered. Mandela will continue to inspire all human rights activists across the globe," she said in a statement.
“Mandela`s struggle in South Africa turned him a champion of the values of equality and freedom of expression. He was a trusted friend of India,” she added.
Mandela, South Africa`s first elected black president, died at his home in Houghton, a suburb of Johannesburg, following a protracted illness. He was 95.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees